Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ginger Nut Bars




Since having a baby I have become a huge fan of grab and go food. I am always looking out for healthy alternatives to store bought packaged treats that I can pack in my bag. Snacks that won't fill me up with empty calories or leave my on the down side of a sugar rush. I love those fruit and nut Larabars but they can get expensive so I decided to try and make my own version of the ever popular "energy bar". I used the nuts I had in my freezer, honey, some agave nectar and crystallized ginger for some zing. I wasn't completely sure how long or on what setting to "cook" the bars so it was a of bit of trial and error. Here is the rough recipe and a photo of what I ended up with. I think you probably could make them in an oven with slightly higher temps. For me the key was to flip the bars so they would completely dry out.

Ingredients:
1 cup rough chopped raw almonds
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp. agave nectar
zest of one large lemon
1/4 rough chopped crystallized ginger

spread mixture out in thin sheet in dehydrator and "bake" at 118 for 16 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment