Saturday, July 2, 2011

Stingray Play



Oceans, sharks, whales and mermaids was the theme of the week at gym. I debated creating a mermaid costume but after some consideration decided that we would try a hand at making a stringray. Tess has a great little book called Max the Minnow and one of the characters is a jazzy stingray. We both always have such fun reading that book and she laughs at all the illustrated sealife.

I looked online for some ideas on a ray costume but didn't find much so I was on my own to try and figure out how to create it. We bought a pink leotard, a box of brown Rit dye and two yards of fabric for the construction. I used knit jersey and poly satin for the rays wings and achieved the spotted effect by dying the fabric brown and then painting bleach onto the dyed bodysuit and splattering it on to the wings. I wish I had taken a little more time and care with the construction, I admit I was a bit sloppy and "make do" with the garment but I was working on it during kiddo naps the day before her class. We have a water theme party coming up in a few months and we will pull this out again, maybe I will sew on some sequins and embellish this little ray.

Materials:
1 Box brown Rit dye
1 yard cotton knit fabric
1 yard poly satin
Bleach
Headband

No comments:

Post a Comment